2016 BANGER WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS

The ninth and second complete season under the running of Jon#606.
Jon#606
Site Admin

2016 BANGER WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS

Postby Jon#606 » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 12:36 am

I'm not really sure what happened last nnight. However, I can comfortably say it went wrong for the second title meeting in succession.

At the start, the track was changed from Gizmo's Stadium to Arena Essex. This was due to concerns from some drivers about the track's size combined with the Unlimited class and while I am personally disappointed the track wasn't used, I can see where the issues originated. However, it then turned out that Arena's middle sections have a number of jagged edges that flip cars and this happened a lot. I have decided that all tracks will be reviewed in advance of the 2017 season to prevent this from happening again. This will probably result in a large reduction of tracks used next year but if it means fewer races are ruined by shoddy kerbs then that's all the better.

Then the Banger World Series Championship race itself. I will go through this race during the weekend but it appears that the re-introduction of the oppo rule had a significant impact on the race itself, with one driver constantly doing it on the bend. There was also a big complaint of a massive lag during the rolling lap which I did not witness. I apologise unreservedly if this ruined your race. Having watched the incident in question just to see what happened, it is clear that drivers failing to slow for the first bend just so they could fence someone caused this. I don't know whether a "no follow-ins on the first corner" rule would help this but I guess it would.

The 2016 Banger World Series Championship did see 18 drivers compete in the big race. The number of Top 20 absentees was pleasingly minimal, with just 7 not appearing. There were amazingly no drivers attending who did not race in a BWS round, so no Last Chance Race was held. The three drivers who hadn't competed in a qualifying meeting lined up at the back of the grid in number order. The grid for the Figure 8 World Final is below (reigning champion denoted by the italic C in white brackets next to their name):

27 Cap - - - - - - - - - - - - 870 Looney
238 Kane - - - - - - - - - - - 997 Rik (C)
960 Pepino - - - - - - - - - - 616 Jam
606 Jon - - - - - - - - - - - 220 Nova
200 Youngy - - - - - - - - - 474 Miniman
786 Brett - - - - - - - - - - 70 Aaron
540 Chunk - - - - - - - - - 47 Michal
515 Joshua - - - - - - - - 66 Hammertime
212 Bokito - - - - - - - - 380 Pennywise

After the previously mentioned first corner carnage, one driver got ahead of a rapidly-depleting field to claim the gold and platinum chequered roof...

2016 BANGER WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP:
1st: Rik
2nd: Cap
3rd: Nova
Other finishers: Bokito, Kane

Rik became the latest history maker in LFS Bangers by being the first driver to retain the Banger World Series title. In what was a chaotic race, the Dutchman did get challenged early on but his rivals kept getting taken out by the likes of Joshua on the bends. Only four other drivers finished, with recently crowned Figure 8 Points champion Cap with his third title podium of the year while Nova clambered onto it for the first time this season. As always, commiserations to those who finished the 22 lap race but got nothing for it.

The Banger World Series Championship was the tenth qualifier for the Champion of Champions meeting at the end of the season. The lucky person who qualified will be revealed below the results... 8-)

Here are the results from the other races that took place on Friday, which were all non-points. Well done to all the winners:

Heat 1: Nova, Pepino, Rik
Heat 2: Rik, Nova, Cap, Bokito, Jon, Kane, Michal
Heat 3: Rik, Nova, Kane, Cap, Jam, Chunk, Bokito, Hammertime, Luke
Heat 4: Jam, Kane, Nova, Rik, Chunk, Cap, Jon, Looney
Heat 5: Bokito, Cap, Jam, Looney
Heat 6: Cap, Luke, Jam, Nova

Final: Nova, Kane, Pepino, Rik, Michal

DD: Kane

CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS QUALIFIER
The Champion of Champions qualifier from the Banger World Series Championship meeting is the winner of the Banger World Series Championship.

RIk won the Banger World Series Championship, but had already qualified for the Champion of Champions meeting through the Metal Mania meeting. Per the rules, this means the qualifier from the Banger World Series Championship is the next best non-qualified driver, so the Banger World Series Championship qualifier is...

212 Bokito

Bokito's place on the CoC grid is the INSIDE of the FIFTH ROW.

Another surprising qualifier in Bokito, but it is a deserved qualification. While the Dutchman doesn't always get good finishes, he tries his hardest to finish, and doing that has got him on the grid for December's season closer as he was the only non-qualified driver to finish the BWS Championship race.

So, just to reminder you:

ImageCONGRATULATIONS TO 997 RIK - 2016 BANGER WORLD SERIES CHAMPION!Image

Return to “2016 Results & Points”